A Walking Tour of Skaneateles Reveals a Rich History
If you’re looking for places to stay in the Finger Lakes that are peaceful and filled with rich history, Fingerlakes Luxury Rentals reminds you to look no further than Skaneateles. This quaint village takes its name from the Native American expression for “long lake,” because the town is nestled next to a pleasantly long Skaneateles Lake. On crisp, clear days visitors can stroll along the lake and enjoy its scenic beauty, as countless others have done since before there was a town. The lake isn’t the only spot in town to see, you can easily take a casual walking tour around the village for a bit of relaxation and historical enlightenment.
During the early days of the village, people were drawn to its idyllic surroundings, just as many people are today. After its first incorporation as a village in 1833, Skaneateles attracted a number of prominent people who created factories and shops, and built fine homes for their families. Many of these homes are still around and you can gaze at them while walking downtown and neighborhood streets. There are also a good number of stately vintage homes dotting the lakeside areas.
As the village grew in size, vacationers with financial means flocked here to indulge in a water cure established by one Dr. Jackson. During this era, Skaneateles was a popular summer resort spot. Finger Lakes Vacationers stayed in cottages or at a spacious hotel. The special water that provided supposed health cures came from a local mineral spring. While the exact location of some of these old tourists locations are lost to time, you can still enjoy discovering hidden streams and waterfalls in some areas.
The village has put in a lot of effort to restore old homes and buildings to their former state, and you’ll see this up close during your walk. Like many communities in New York State, local residents have a strong commitment to historical preservation of older buildings. This is why the village feels culturally vibrant, even though many structures are over 100 years old. Stop and admire the various architectural styles and details. You’ll appreciate structural details that are no longer a feature of modern architecture.
In Skaneateles, the past meshes beautifully with the present. Village historical accounts note that many colorful and interesting people once graced these village streets, homes, shops, churches and city buildings. We’re happy to say that not too much has changed, except there are many more people living here, and a lot more good people coming here for their relaxation cure. Oh, and you can drive here instead of traveling by horse and buggy – thank goodness.
Take a moment to book one of our cozy Skaneateles vacation rentals today. Enjoy a little history and a whole bunch of recreational fun.
- Discover Why People are Getting Away to Fingerlakes Luxury Rentals
- The Finger Lakes are a Great Place to Social Distance as Areas Begin to Re-Open Post COVID-19
- Five Ways to Get Cozy With a Winter Stay at One of Our Skaneateles Luxury Vacation Homes
- Enjoy the Fall in the Finger Lakes with a Stay at a Luxury Finger Lakes Vacation Rental
- Summer is in Full Swing and It Is the Perfect Time to Visit the Finger Lakes
- Plan a Cozy Vacation in Skaneateles This Winter With a Stay at One of Our Luxury Houses
- Fall in Love with One of Our Skaneateles Luxury Rental Homes
- Finger Lakes Luxury Rentals Newest Addition is a Newly Built Custom Home on Skaneateles Lake
- Enjoy the Finger Lakes This Fall With a Stay in Skaneateles, New York
- Luxury is Close to Home With Our Skaneateles Luxury Rentals
- Discover the Finger Lakes with a Trip to Skaneateles This Summer
- Planning a Visit to Skaneateles This Summer, Spend Your Nights in Luxury and Privacy at Evans Lodge
- Enjoy September in the Finger Lakes
- Spend a Weekend in Skaneateles
- Time to Consider a Finger Lakes Vacation Before School Starts
- Upstate Guide Service for Wonderful Fishing and Waterfowling
- There is Something Special About March in The Finger Lakes
- Start Your Next Vacation with Finger Lakes Luxury Rentals
- Skaneateles Lake Turns Into a Winter Wonderland in December
- December is a Great Time to Visit the Finger Lakes
- Summer is the Perfect Time to Enjoy Skaneateles Lake
- June in the Finger Lakes Region
- Luxury Vacation Getaways in the Finger Lakes
- March is the Perfect Time to Book Your Summer Stay on Skaneateles Lake
- The Top Things to Do Outdoors in the Finger Lakes During the Winter
- Keeping Busy Around the Finger Lakes in January
- A Walking Tour of Skaneateles Reveals a Rich History
- Check Out Skaneateles in July
- Spring is the Perfect Time to Plan a Stay at Fingerlakes Luxury Rentals
- Consider a Fingerlakes Luxury Rental for Your Next Vacation
- Skaneateles, New York in March
- The History of Skaneateles Lake
- Spend the Weekend Exploring the Charlie Major Nature Park
- Summer is the Perfect Time to Visit Skaneateles New York
- With “Back to School” Time Approaching, Consider a Quick Finger Lakes Day Trip
- Tips to Consider When Choosing a Vacation Home
- In The Finger Lakes, Summer is The Time For Festivals
- Finger Lakes Luxury Vacation Rentals Adds Managed Properties to their Portfolio
- The Rich History of Skaneateles Lake