Spend the Weekend Exploring the Charlie Major Nature Park
While enjoying all the comforts at one of the cozy Finger Lakes vacation rentals in the town of Skaneateles, put on your best walking shoes and head on out for a leisurely nature walk. The Charlie Major Nature Park is a wonderful place to relax and unwind. The popular park features a scenic walking trail that goes between Old Crow Road and the eastern side of Mill Road that is just north of Old Seneca Turnpike.
This historic path was originally created for the Skaneateles Short Line Railroad, which operated on a 3-mile stretch between Skaneateles Junction and the town of Skaneateles. This railroad was in operation from September 1840 to July 1981. The rails are long since gone. In their place is a flat path that can be walked, run or biked.
While walking you can hear the babbling waters of Skaneateles Creek. The creek runs parallel to the trail. Skaneateles Lake feeds water into the creek. The water flows all the way to the Seneca River. There are a few bridges to cross and they each have their individual charm. There’s a couple of short wood and steel bridges that are pleasant to walk on. From one of the bridges you can look down and see a deep water hole.
Another charming aspect of this nature walk is seeing the remnants of life as it once was. You’ll see what’s left of the Lakeside Paper Mill and abandoned saw and gristmills. One part of the trail takes you to the site of an old woodworking factory. It stands as a lonely reminder of a simpler time when local communities bought goods made from local raw materials.
During warmer months you can bring along a bite to eat and relax at one of the picnic tables. If you would like to know more about the historical sites along the trail, stop in at the Mottville Post Office/Emporium and ask for a free map. The Jordan Street trail entrance is not well marked so be sure to keep your eyes peeled for it.
This is the perfect place for a romantic stroll or to contemplate your place in the universe. For those with pooches staying with you at our Skaneateles lake rentals, bring your furry friend along (on a leash) and let them enjoy this marvelous nature path with you. Also, there is a small playground at the park for younger children. This peaceful place accommodates anyone. The trail is open all four seasons.
Bring along your camera or cell phone to snap shots to show family and friends. By the time you return to your Skaneateles rental you will be ready for a good meal.
- Enjoy the Fall in the Finger Lakes with a Stay at a Luxury Finger Lakes Vacation Rental
- You Can Now Stay in the Opulent and Historic Samuel Hopkins Adams House on Beautiful Owasco Lake!
- Summer is in Full Swing and It Is the Perfect Time to Visit the Finger Lakes
- Forget the Hotel Room, Chose a Luxury Vacation Rental Instead
- May is the Perfect Time for A Spring Stay in Skaneateles, New York
- Looking for a Gorgeous Getaway? Take a Look at What’s New at Finger Lakes Luxury Rentals
- Plan a Cozy Vacation in Skaneateles This Winter With a Stay at One of Our Luxury Houses
- Fall in Love with One of Our Skaneateles Luxury Rental Homes
- Enjoy the Finger Lakes This Fall With a Stay in Skaneateles, New York
- Luxury is Close to Home With Our Skaneateles Luxury Rentals
- April Showers Won’t Put A Damper on a Luxury Skaneateles Vacation
- This February Fall in Love With Finger Lakes Luxury Rentals
- Celebrate The Holiday’s With a Weekend Stay At One of Our Finger Lakes Luxury Rentals
- Have A Scary Good Weekend With a Stay in One of Our Finger Lakes Luxury Homes
- Spend a Weekend in Skaneateles
- The History of the Finger Lakes
- Time to Consider a Finger Lakes Vacation Before School Starts
- 5 Things to do in Skaneateles this Summer
- There is Plenty Happening in June Around the Finger Lakes
- Skaneateles Luxury Vacation Rentals, Your Home Away from Home
- Springtime in the Finger Lakes
- Skaneateles Luxury Vacation Rentals vs. Hotels
- Start Your Next Vacation with Finger Lakes Luxury Rentals
- It’s All About Valentine’s Day Around the Finger Lakes
- Skaneateles Lake Turns Into a Winter Wonderland in December
- December is a Great Time to Visit the Finger Lakes
- There’s No Slowing Down the Finger Lakes in October
- Plan Your Early Fall Vacation with Finger Lakes Luxury Rentals
- Fingerlakes Luxury Rentals Has Two New Luxury Accommodations
- August Around the Finger Lakes
- July is Bursting Out All Over the Finger Lakes
- Summer is the Perfect Time to Enjoy Skaneateles Lake
- June in the Finger Lakes Region
- Luxury Vacation Getaways in the Finger Lakes
- March is the Perfect Time to Book Your Summer Stay on Skaneateles Lake
- March in the Finger Lakes Has Plenty to Offer Visitors
- Why Any Finger Lakes Vacation Should Start With A Fingerlakes Luxury Rental
- Here’s What’s Happening Around the Finger Lakes in February
- The Top Things to Do Outdoors in the Finger Lakes During the Winter
- See What Is Happening Around the Finger Lakes in November
- Check Out the Changing Leaves With a Weekend Stay in the Finger Lakes
- What’s Happening Around the Finger Lakes in August
- June is Heating Up the Finger Lakes
- Plenty to Do in May Around the Finger Lakes
- Mother’s Day is the Perfect Time for a Finger Lakes Vacation Rentals Getaway
- The Finger Lakes in April
- Skaneateles, New York in March
- Around the Finger Lakes in March
- Fingerlakes Luxury Rentals Has the Luxury Vacation for You
- There is a Lot Going On Around the Finger Lakes in January
- Ice Skating, Hot Chocolate and Roaring Fires the Finger Lakes Way
- Wine Season Never Ends in the Finger Lakes
- December Happenings Around the Finger Lakes
- The History of Skaneateles Lake
- Destiny USA: Just a Short Drive from Skaneateles
- Spend the Weekend Exploring the Charlie Major Nature Park
- Plan Your Fall Vacation Around the Changing Leaves
- The Finger Lakes Region in October
- Fall is a Good Time to Visit a Finger Lakes Region Farmer’s Market
- Summer is the Perfect Time to Visit Skaneateles New York
- With “Back to School” Time Approaching, Consider a Quick Finger Lakes Day Trip
- Thinking About a Finger Lakes Vacation? Bring Your Pet Along!
- August Happenings Around the Finger Lakes
- Summertime Means Baseball: The Finger Lake Region is Home to Several Professional Baseball Teams
- Tips to Consider When Choosing a Vacation Home
- In The Finger Lakes, Summer is The Time For Festivals
- Finger Lakes Luxury Vacation Rentals Adds Managed Properties to their Portfolio
- Historical Harriet Tubman Home Offers Glimpse Into the Life of a Remarkable Woman
- The Rich History of Skaneateles Lake
- Places to Stay in the Finger Lakes: Which Option is Right for You?