You Can Now Stay in the Opulent and Historic Samuel Hopkins Adams House on Beautiful Owasco Lake!
There are plenty of things to do in and around the Owasco Lake region, and there are plenty of Skaneateles luxury vacation rentals to choose from for your home base. If you’re looking for a place that’s a bit more unique, however, now there’s a stunning new place to stay that will appeal to anyone who loves journalism and writing. The Samuel Hopkins Adams House is a beautifully renovated, 6,500 sq. ft home that was once the retreat of a famous author, journalist and investigative reporter from the turn of the century.
The Lasting Legacy of Samuel Hopkins Adams
Samuel Hopkins Adams was the son of a minister who grew up to be one of the most influential writers of his era. He was an investigative reporter for the the New York Sun from 1891-1900, when he wrote several articles revealing the shady advertising practices of and potentially dangerous ingredients in patent medicines. He quickly gained a reputation as a crusader, and in 1905 cemented his reputation when he wrote a series for McClure’s Magazine called “The Great American Fraud” series, which eventually led to the United State’s Pure Food and Drug Act.
Adams also wrote numerous novels and short stories. His short story “Night Bus” was the basis for the Oscar winning movie “It Happened One Night,” starring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. Novels included Flaming Youth, Unforbidden Fruit and Revelry. He was one of the most famous writers of the turn of the century and the Roaring Twenties. Today, his retreat in the Finger Lakes is available for you to rent!
Historic Beauty on Owasco Lake
This luxurious property is one of the finest vacation rentals in Skaneateles, and is the only one we know of that was once inhabited by a famous author/crusader loved by his countrymen. It’s a unique opportunity to be surrounded by a sense of literary history in a spacious home with all of the modern conveniences.
This gracious, 6,500 square foot home is crafted of mellow stone and features three fireplaces for warmth and charm in the living room, billiard room and master bedroom. With six bedrooms, four and a half baths, three living rooms and spacious dining areas, you’ll be able to comfortably stay here with a more than a dozen of your family and friends. Very few Finger Lakes vacation rentals offer so much living space nestled in a wooded beauty that sits directly on the water. Simply stroll down the foot path and you can relax on your private stretch of Owasco Lake’s beach.
An Active Lifestyle on the Water
If you love the water, our newest property on Owasco Lake is ideal. We even provide a few kayaks and paddleboards so you can take to the lake any time you want. There are acres of nature around this lovely home whether you want to stroll through the trees, go bird watching or simply relax in the sunshine. With your own, private dock, incredible fishing is as easy as throwing a line in the water.
There aren’t many Skaneateles luxury vacation rentals that seamlessly quality comforts, beautiful natural surroundings and a sense of history in one gorgeous package, but Wide Waters does. Reserve your little slice of history today!
- Romance is Always in the Air When You Stay with Finger Lakes Luxury Rentals
- Five Ways to Get Cozy With a Winter Stay at One of Our Skaneateles Luxury Vacation Homes
- Wintertime is a Great Time to Stay in the Finger Lakes
- Enjoy the Fall in the Finger Lakes with a Stay at a Luxury Finger Lakes Vacation Rental
- You Can Now Stay in the Opulent and Historic Samuel Hopkins Adams House on Beautiful Owasco Lake!
- Summer is in Full Swing and It Is the Perfect Time to Visit the Finger Lakes
- Forget the Hotel Room, Chose a Luxury Vacation Rental Instead
- May is the Perfect Time for A Spring Stay in Skaneateles, New York
- Looking for a Gorgeous Getaway? Take a Look at What’s New at Finger Lakes Luxury Rentals
- Plan a Cozy Vacation in Skaneateles This Winter With a Stay at One of Our Luxury Houses
- Fall in Love with One of Our Skaneateles Luxury Rental Homes
- Enjoy the Finger Lakes This Fall With a Stay in Skaneateles, New York
- Luxury is Close to Home With Our Skaneateles Luxury Rentals
- April Showers Won’t Put A Damper on a Luxury Skaneateles Vacation
- This February Fall in Love With Finger Lakes Luxury Rentals
- Celebrate The Holiday’s With a Weekend Stay At One of Our Finger Lakes Luxury Rentals
- Have A Scary Good Weekend With a Stay in One of Our Finger Lakes Luxury Homes
- Spend a Weekend in Skaneateles
- The History of the Finger Lakes
- Time to Consider a Finger Lakes Vacation Before School Starts
- 5 Things to do in Skaneateles this Summer
- There is Plenty Happening in June Around the Finger Lakes
- Skaneateles Luxury Vacation Rentals, Your Home Away from Home
- Springtime in the Finger Lakes
- Skaneateles Luxury Vacation Rentals vs. Hotels
- Start Your Next Vacation with Finger Lakes Luxury Rentals
- It’s All About Valentine’s Day Around the Finger Lakes
- Skaneateles Lake Turns Into a Winter Wonderland in December
- December is a Great Time to Visit the Finger Lakes
- There’s No Slowing Down the Finger Lakes in October
- Plan Your Early Fall Vacation with Finger Lakes Luxury Rentals
- Fingerlakes Luxury Rentals Has Two New Luxury Accommodations
- August Around the Finger Lakes
- July is Bursting Out All Over the Finger Lakes
- Summer is the Perfect Time to Enjoy Skaneateles Lake
- June in the Finger Lakes Region
- Luxury Vacation Getaways in the Finger Lakes
- March is the Perfect Time to Book Your Summer Stay on Skaneateles Lake
- March in the Finger Lakes Has Plenty to Offer Visitors
- Why Any Finger Lakes Vacation Should Start With A Fingerlakes Luxury Rental
- Here’s What’s Happening Around the Finger Lakes in February
- The Top Things to Do Outdoors in the Finger Lakes During the Winter
- See What Is Happening Around the Finger Lakes in November
- Check Out the Changing Leaves With a Weekend Stay in the Finger Lakes
- What’s Happening Around the Finger Lakes in August
- June is Heating Up the Finger Lakes
- Plenty to Do in May Around the Finger Lakes
- Mother’s Day is the Perfect Time for a Finger Lakes Vacation Rentals Getaway
- The Finger Lakes in April
- Skaneateles, New York in March
- Around the Finger Lakes in March
- Fingerlakes Luxury Rentals Has the Luxury Vacation for You
- There is a Lot Going On Around the Finger Lakes in January
- Ice Skating, Hot Chocolate and Roaring Fires the Finger Lakes Way
- Wine Season Never Ends in the Finger Lakes
- December Happenings Around the Finger Lakes
- The History of Skaneateles Lake
- Destiny USA: Just a Short Drive from Skaneateles
- Spend the Weekend Exploring the Charlie Major Nature Park
- Plan Your Fall Vacation Around the Changing Leaves
- The Finger Lakes Region in October
- Fall is a Good Time to Visit a Finger Lakes Region Farmer’s Market
- Summer is the Perfect Time to Visit Skaneateles New York
- With “Back to School” Time Approaching, Consider a Quick Finger Lakes Day Trip
- Thinking About a Finger Lakes Vacation? Bring Your Pet Along!
- August Happenings Around the Finger Lakes
- Summertime Means Baseball: The Finger Lake Region is Home to Several Professional Baseball Teams
- Tips to Consider When Choosing a Vacation Home
- In The Finger Lakes, Summer is The Time For Festivals
- Finger Lakes Luxury Vacation Rentals Adds Managed Properties to their Portfolio
- Historical Harriet Tubman Home Offers Glimpse Into the Life of a Remarkable Woman
- The Rich History of Skaneateles Lake
- Places to Stay in the Finger Lakes: Which Option is Right for You?